Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Buckhead Bellyache 2012

Daylight savings has just started and it's time to start up the Bellyache route!

I rode the route Sun. Mon. and Tues. three days in a row. It's a short 24.10 miles but it is loaded with plunging, downhill runs and short, steep uphills. There are plenty of stop signs, traffic lights and of course ...cars to deal with. It's been a few years since I have ridden this route but I will say, it seems bumpier with a few extra pot holes to maneuver.

For those of you not familiar with Atlanta, GA, this route starts at St. Phillips Cathedral on Peachtree Street in the heart of Buckhead, just north of downtown. The route runs to the west through the well heeled, Buckhead neighborhoods of north Atlanta. It then crosses over I-75 and the Chattahoochee River into the suburbs of Vinings bordering our perimeter Interstate I-285. From here it's back across the river toward Buckhead and back to the church. The route back is slightly different, but follows many of the same roads.


Thursday evening is the big group ride. The main group usually rolls out at about 6:15, some prefer a little earlier or later...it's a work day so folks start when they can. The main group has always been a very competitive bunch...beware...many are USCF racers. I've started with them and have always been kicked off the back by mile five. If you are a slow, wannabe like me then roll out about 15 minutes prior to the big group and play the cat and mouse game. It's fun to ride really hard trying to beat the pack, looking back every now and then knowing they are there somewhere. Doing this, I've been caught by the pack and I've beaten the pack, either way it's fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment